Are You Ready for Disaster?
- Learn the difference between a Watch and a Warning.
- A Watch means tornadoes or thunderstorms may develop.
- A Warning means that one has been sighted and you should seek shelter immediately.
Before a Disaster
To prepare for any kind of disaster, pack a survival kit:
- First Aid Kit
- Fresh Water
- Non-perishable Food
- Radio & Flashlight with fresh batteries
- Portable Cooking Device
- Extra clothing, blankets, etc...
- Your German Mutual Policy Information
- Make a complete inventory of your possessions. Keep that list in a safe location away from the home.
- If you evacuate, let someone know where you are going.
- Shut off and unplug any utilities.
- If you stay home, stay indoors and away from windows and glass.
After a Disaster
- Check people around you for injuries. Begin first aid and seek help if necessary.
- Check your appliances and water heater for damage.
- Do not use matches or candles to do your checking.
- If you smell gas, open the windows and turn off the master valve. Do not turn on lights and appliances until the gas has dissipated and the system has been evaluated by a professional.
- Driving may be hazardous due to downed power lines, debris, and flooding. If flooding is a potential hazard, stay away from rivers, streams, and low water crossings.