What to do After an Accident
Even the most careful drivers are involved in auto accidents. Knowing what to do after an accident can make the experience less frightening and decrease the chance of unnecessary complications.
After an Accident:
- Call law enforcement, even if the accident appears to be minor.
- Check for injuries.
- Check the vehicles. Make note of specific damages to all vehicles involved. If you have a camera take a few snapshots.
- Look for witnesses. Write down the name, address, and vehicle license number of anyone who may have witnessed the accident. This can prevent disagreements concerning how the accident actually occurred.
Other Do's and Don'ts:
- Do not sign any document unless it is for the police or insurance company.
- Contact your agent or the company about the accident immediately.
- Jot down the details about the accident such as weather conditions, time of day, number of persons in the other vehicle, etc...